- Southgate, E., Grimes, S., Scevak, J., Smithers, K., Saxby, S., Kolham, J., … Summerville, D. (2020). ‘It makes you actually interact with the things you are learning about’. In Virtual Reality in Curriculum and Pedagogy: Evidence from secondary classrooms. Routledge: New York.
Smithers, K. (2021).“They have got so much love, they are in love with the children”: an exploration of the educational impact of school tours as part of a safari itinerary in Matabeleland North, Zimbabwe. Doctoral dissertation submitted to The University of Newcastle, Australia.
Harris, J., Knipe, S., Smithers, K. & Ross, A. (2020). Transitions from Remote Delivery to Reopening: A review of evidence on school improvement for schools impacted by COVID. Report commissioned by Integration and Evidence Unit, Victorian Department of Education and Training.
Harris, J., Smithers, K., Knipe, S & Ross, A. (2020). School Improvement: A review of empirical research into the drivers and practices of school improvement (2015 – 2020). Report commissioned by Integration and Evidence Unit, Victorian Department of Education and Training.
- Southgate E, Blackmore K, Pieschl S, Grimes S, Smithers K, McGuire J, ‘Artificial Intelligence and Emerging Technologies in Schools Research Report’, Australian Department of Education (2019). https://docs-edu.govcms.gov.au/documents/ai-schools-report
- Langridge, R., Smith, S. P., Smithers, K., and Southgate, E. (2017). Participatory design with children and young people: An annotated bibliography. DICE Report Series, Number 5. Newcastle: DICE Research.
- Southgate, E., Smith, S. P., Smithers, K. & Budd, J. (2016). Serious games and learning: An annotated bibliography. DICE Report Series, Number 1. Newcastle: DICE Research. [PDF]
- Smith S, Southgate E, Langridge R, Gruppetta M, Smithers K, ‘Robo WordQuest (Android)’, 1.1, Google, Google Play App Store (2019)
- Smith S, Southgate E, Langridge R, Gruppetta M, Smithers K, ‘Robo WordQuest (iOS)’, 1.1, Apple, iTunes App Store (2018)
Research translation activities
- More than 70% of academics at some universities are casuals. They’re losing work and are cut out of JobKeeper, The Conversation, May 15th 2020
- Harris, J., Spina, N., & Smithers, K. (June 1, 2020). Research with precarity in precarious times. Sentry Magazine, 1(2), 8-9.
- Recipient of the ‘AARE Alison Lee ‘Theory in Educational Research’ Scholarship’ (link)
- Three Minute Thesis University Finalist 2018
- FEDUA HDR Student Engagement Award 2020
- Dean’s HDR Excellence Award 2020
- ‘Time Management and Organisation’ Workshop
- Invited speaker to College of Human and Social Futures presentation: ‘Making the most of your HDR journey’
- Faculty of Education and Arts HDR Representative on the Research and Research Training Committee (2019-2021)
- Students and Staff Talking About Research (SSTAR) 2019 & 2020 Conference organising committee
- Tariro Trust Board Member (2018-Jan 2020)
- President of the School of Education HDR Club (2017-June 2020)
- Vice President of the Newcastle University Postgraduate Student Association (2020)
- Conference member Newcastle-Maitland Vinnies youth (2010-January 2020)